You must have heard the word orthodontics.what this mean actually?
Ortho means straight
Dontics means teeth
So, in simpler words orthdotics means straightening of teeth.
Orthodontic treatment is required when you have
1. Malaligned, irregular or crowded teeth
2. Teeth too much protruded outwards
3. Deep bite i.e. upper teeth completely overlapping lower teeth making lower teeth invisible
4. Spaces in between your teeth
5. Backwardly placed teeth in such a way that upper and lower teeth are touching each other
When your teeth are irregularly placed, you donot get enough space to clean your teeth from all the sides. As a result food gets entrapped between two teeth where they are contacting each other. Then as a sequelae food entrapment leads to plaque accumulation and bacterial colonization leading to bleeding and swollen gums(gingivitis and periodontitis)which will progress to further bone loss with time.
Orthodontic treatment is performed by a specialist wh has done MDS for 3 years in the field of orthodontics and dentofacial orthopaedics after BDS.
Time duration of orthodontic treatment depends on severity of case.Normally it takes 1-1.5 years. Time duration can increase or decrease by 2-3 months depending on the case.
Patient has to visit monthly once over an entire period of treatment.
Yes we have different types of braces:
1. Metal braces
2. Ceramic braces i.e tooth colored
3. Self ligating metal and ceramic braces
4. Lingual braces / invisible braces i.e placed on the inner side of your tooth
5. Aligners (clear path) i.e braceless treatment
Orthodontic treatment is followed by placement of upper and lower removable retainers. A retainer is a acrylic plate with inserted wire components in it which passively fits over your teeth.
During orthodontic treatment, teeth has moved from one position to another and teeth have a tendency to move back to their original positionutil or unlesssufficient time has been given to the teeth to retain at their new position.
So, retainers help in retaining the teeth at their new position.
1. Avoid hard food items like non-vegetarian food, eating apples by biting directly on it. Cut all fruits in to slices and then have them.
2. Brushing three times a day using a special orthodontic brush
3. Use of fluoride mouthwash two times a day.
4. Take utmost care of your braces and appliance in your mouth. Avoid breakage, as breakage will further prlong your treatment time.